Thursday, March 01, 2007

Dream on

Sometimes I hear people wondering whether we should really be praying about trivial things like parking spots and sales on pants. While I share their ideal of growing in our ability to desire what God wants rather than just asking him for what we want, I figure: 'If I'm going to think about it anyway, why not think about it with him?' God knows I'm thinking it anyway, and he loves to be included.

When my husband was finishing his second degree and I was cooped up in an 2 bedroom apartment with a newborn, I confessed to our pastor's wife my dream of owning a house. It was a long shot - we were still paying off student loans and not even close to saving up a down payment. I expected her to scold me for being selfish and materialistic. Instead, she told me to write a List of all my dreams and commit them to God.

A few months later we were in our house.

And I could tell a similar story about my piano, car, sofa, family vacation, seminary education, and most of the pants in my closet. All felt out of range, but became mine -through generous gifts, amazing sales, or determined saving - after I committed them to God. They're not just things, they're reminders of what can happen when I commit my dreams to the Dream-giver. They're souvenirs from a land called Trust.

This spring I'm starting another List. My husband's position at work is being eliminated in 6 weeks. God knows I'd love it if he would lead us to:

A job that gives T. joy, energy, and a sense of purpose.
A salary that pays the bills, plus enough to "splurge" on private occupational and speech therapy for K. Okay, and summer camp.
A workplace close to home so Tony can spend two more hours a day with those he loves, instead of Transit Tom.
A schedule that allows him to continue to be involved in church.
And time to install a basement bathroom. (That one's probably just a pipe dream.)

When he gets this job (I'm sounding more confident than I feel) instead of a lucky break, it will feel like an answer.

Because I dared to ask.

No comments: